×

#Diet      #Health      

Can My Dog Eat That? Spring Edition

Do you think you have a grasp on what popular spring foods and plants are poisonous for dogs?  Some of them just may surprise you.  Check your knowledge here: 

 

Can your dog eat any of these?

 

Aloe Vera

 

No, aloe vera contains anthraquinone glycosides which are purgatives (medications that encourage bowel movements) and dogs should not eat the plants.

 

Avocados

 

No, avocados contain persin which is toxic for dogs in large quantities and causes vomiting and diarrhea in smaller amounts.

 

Chocolate

 

No, most dog owners know this but it’s always worth a refresher. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous.

 

Crocus

 

No, there are two Crocus plants: one that blooms in the spring (Crocus species) and the other in the autumn (Colchicum autumnale). The spring plants are more common and are part of the Iridaceae family. These ingestions can cause general gastrointestinal upset including vomiting and diarrhea.

 

Daffodils

 

No, Daffodils contain lycorine, an alkaloid with strong emetic properties (something that triggers vomiting). Ingestion of the bulb, plant or flower can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and even possible cardiac arrhythmias or respiratory depression.

 

Easter Lilly

 

No, Easter Lillies are toxic to dogs and especially toxic for cats.

 

Fertilizer, Rose and Plant

 

No, fertilizers, including rose and those containing Iron, blood meal, bone meal, feather meal and are tasty and dangerous for dogs.  Large ingestions can cause severe pancreatitis or even form a concretion in the stomach, obstructing the gastrointestinal tract.  Some of these fertilizers contain disulfoton or other types of organophosphates (OP). As little as 1 teaspoon of 1% disulfoton can kill a 55 lb dog, so be careful! Organophosphates, while less commonly used, can result in severe symptoms [including SLUD signs (which abbreviate for salivation, lacrimation, urination, and defecation), seizures, difficulty breathing, hyperthermia, etc. In some cases, it can be fatal!

 

Hyacinths

 

No, the toxic principle in of these plants is very concentrated in the bulbs (versus the leaf or flower), so make sure your dog isn’t digging up the bulbs in the garden. When the plant parts or bulbs are chewed or ingested, it can result in tissue irritation to the mouth and esophagus. Typical signs include profuse drooling, vomiting, or even diarrhea, depending on the amount consumed.

 

Lilly of the Valley

 

No, Lilly of the Valley ingestion causes vomiting, diarrhea, a drop in heart rate, severe cardiac arrhythmias, and possibly seizures.

 

Peach

 

No, dogs should not be allowed to eat the wilting leaves or pits of peaches.

 

Tulips

 

No, the entire plant is toxic but especially the bulb.  When the plant parts or bulbs are chewed or ingested, it can result in tissue irritation to the mouth and esophagus, ingestion symptoms include profuse drooling, vomiting, or even diarrhea, increase in heart and respiration-depending on the amount eaten.

 

Sago Palm

 

No, If ingested, the leaves and seeds can cause vomiting, bloody stools, damage to the stomach lining, severe liver failure and, in some cases, death.

 

Xylitol

 

No, this artificial sweetener is highly toxic to dogs and even a small amount can cause a dangerous drop in blood pressure and liver failure.

 

All content from this article was taken in whole or in part from the Pet Poison Helpline.  If you dog eats any of these items, contact them or your veterinarian right away.

 

©Dogtube.US

 

Click like if you love dogs :)